The site, which spans from 242 to 250 Old Country Road, is just west of Franklin Avenue. The building was originally owned by LILCO before being transferred to KeySpan. It was bought by the MTA in 2005 in order to obtain the property where the intermodal center now sits. Since then, neither the village of Mineola nor any other taxing entity has received real estate taxes from the property. After lobbying by the village of Mineola, the MTA finally sold the property.
Mineola Properties, LLC with applicant Robert Kahen and Kevin Lalezarian of Lake Success-based Lalezarian Developers, will construct a residential housing complex consisting of 283 market-value units and 32 next-generation first responder units on the site.
The apartment breakdown is as follows: 166 one-bedroom units at 750 sq. ft., 127 two-bedroom units at 1,050 sq. ft. and 22 three-bedroom units.
The demolition schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday, Jan. 28 at 4 a.m. - Old Country Road side
- Wednesday, Jan. 29 at 4 a.m. - East side of building
- Monday, Feb. 3 at 4 a.m. - Old Country Road, elevator tower
- Thursday, Feb. 6 at 4 a.m. - Third Avenue, south side of the building
- Tuesday, Feb. 11 at 4 a.m. - Third Avenue, north side of the building
- Friday, Feb. 14 at 4 a.m. - Third Avenue, elevator tower