Each weekday morning, visit Patch to get the scoop on the top five things you need to know about Garden City for the day - or weekend. Whether it’s an important meeting, fun event or a can't miss story, we'll make sure you stay informed on the top things that are defining your community right now.
Five things you need to know Oct. 18:
1. Hannon Senior Health Expo: Sen. Kemp Hannon is hosting his tenth annual senior health expo at the David S. Mack Sports Complex in Hofstra University. More than 90 agencies and health care providers are expected. Free flu/pneumonia shots will be provided to senior citizens in the Sixth Senatorial District (dispensed in cooperation with Nassau University Medical Center), as well as free mammograms, glaucoma and hearing screenings, spinal analyses, pharmacy medication review and more. Additional information on this event can be found on Senator Hannon’s website.
2. Adelphi Breast Cancer Celebration of Survivorship: Breast cancer survivors, family, friends and the community will come together in Adelphi’s University Center Ballroom for the annual Breast Cancer Celebration of Survivorship of the Adelphi NY Statewide Breast Cancer Hotline & Support Program. The free event begins at 6:15 p.m. with a light supper; the program starts at 7 p.m. Five breast cancer survivors will speak about their personal experiences with the disease and what sustained them and helped them to move forward, including Pat Battle, anchor/reporter, NBC 4 New York, and Chris Amatulli, a volunteer with the Adelphi NY Statewide Breast Cancer Hotline & Support Program. Read more here.
3. Board of Education Meeting: The Garden City Board of Education will hold a regular meeting at Garden City High School at 8:15 p.m. to discuss a full agenda.
4. De La Salle School Ladies Luncheon: The De La Salle School is hosting a ladies luncheon from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Garden City Country Club. Tickets are $65. Buy tickets. Call 516-379-8660 or email EMoffett@DeLaSalleSchool.org for more information.
5. The Great Pumpkin Patch: Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Garden City's annual pumpkin patch located on the corner of Nassau Blvd. and Stewart Ave. is open daily through Oct. 31. The pumpkins came from a Navajo reservation in the southwest. The patch is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Get your pumpkins and other holiday decorations while supplies last!