Patch explores village memorials dedicated to loved ones.
This week Patch
looks at outdoor memorials in the Eastern section: Hemlock School,
Washington Avenue, the Lutheran Church, a field across from the church, the eastern
Firehouse, Clinton Road, Grove Street and Locust School. They add up to 10
memorials to many people.
There is one memorial to John Giordano, located in front of the school -
"In Loving Memory of Our Friend- John Mike Giordano- April 18, 1991-
October 10, 1997." One person said, "His sisters
decorate his memorial for every season. He was a six-year-old student, a
happy youngster full of life and inquisitive. He will always be remembered as
part of the Hemlock family."
Washington Avenue, Osborne Road and Wharton Place
- There are two memorials by a
flagpole. One is a large stone memorial that reads, "World War II-
1941-1945- In Honoring the Memory of Those Residents of Garden City Who Gave
Their Lives. We the Living, Pledge Ourselves to Carry on Their Fight for
The other Washington Avenue memorial is a
bench that reads, "In Loving Memory of Raymond M. Ripp, D.D.S. With love,
your wife Joan and Children Thomas, Bill, Nancy, Kerry, Stephen and Trisha
Ripp. (1924- 2005)"
Lutheran Church of the Resurrection
- Located on Butler Place and Stewart Avenue, there is
one memorial "In Honor of Adelaide List and the charter members of
Field across the street from Lutheran Church
- The field is located at the corner
of Stewart Avenue and Clinton Road. There is one memorial to Noelle Falk with a
Four names are on a memorial stone base with a flagpole, to the east of the
firehouse. "Dedicated to the Memory of the Men Who Gave Their Lives in
Service of the Garden City Fire Department- Lt. Edward Gorry- 1951, Otto A.
Kammerer- 1953, William C. Gorry- 1960 and Captain Gerard F. Otto- 1969."
original Camp Black was located at Clinton Road and Commercial Avenue, next to
the eastern Firehouse and the railroad tracks. The monument is dedicated to
"Camp Albert L. Mills- Birthplace of the Rainbow Division," "1917-1919-
To the Rainbow Division Which First Occupied Camp Mills and Which Went Forth to
Glorious Victories on the Battlefields of France. This Monument is Erected By
Its Veterans. Its Mission Fulfilled, It Vanished to Appear No More But Its Name
and Fame Will Live to Hearten Future Generations to Answer Their Country's
Call- Killed in Action- 2,950- Wounded in Action- 13,292."
The monument is
also dedicated to "To All Who Fought For Their Country" especially
"The 42nd U.S. Infantry Division- 'Rainbow Division'- The Division
Consisted of Approximately 27,000 Men From the National Guard Regiments From 26
States and the District of Columbia." These included the 83rd and 84th
Infantry Brigade, ambulance companies, field hospitals, artillery brigades and
Around the monument's base are scenes of places the division fought,
including Argonne, Baccarat and Champagne- Marne. On the same triangular piece of property
as the Rainbow Monument, the DAR planted a tree and have a plaque that reads,
"To Honor Our Veterans- The Daughters of the American Revolution."
Grove Street at Chestnut Street
There is the most recent outdoor memorial and tree located near Grove Street
Playground for "Our Friend, Luke Rosato- 2012" who was a student at
Garden City Middle School.
One memorial plaque and tree "In Loving Memory of Our Friend and Teacher
Mrs. Penny Caruso."
Outside of the eastern section, Adelphi University has a number of outdoor
memorials.The Levermore Elm trees near Levermore
- "The Levermore Elms- Dedicated in Honor and Affection to the Memory
of Charles Herbert Levermore- Scholar, Historian, Educator, Internationalist-
Founder of Adelphi College- 1856-1927." Levermore founded Adelphi College
in 1896.The flagpole and Adelphi veterans plaque
This is located in the center of campus. "Adelphi University Honors the
Women and Men- Alumni, Students, Faculty and Staff Who Served, Are Serving and
Will Serve in the Armed Forces of the United States of America and Recognizes
Those Who, From Home, Support Their Spirit, Sacrifice and Commitment- A Gift of
Joyce and John J. Phelan, Jr. '70, '87 (Hon.) - USMC January 1951- January
- The garden
is tucked in the southeast corner of the School of Social Work at Adelphi
University's campus. It reads, "Meghan's Pansies Memorial Garden- Meghan
Kenny Halloran Died at Age 31- She gave her time to the Adelphi Breast Cancer
Program so that other young women may survive breast cancer."
Halloran, Melissa McKay said,
"was my neighbor and friend, and one of the most kind-hearted and generous people I've ever known. She
passed away from breast cancer 12 years ago at the age of 31."
In total, Garden City's western, Estates, central and eastern sections have more than 800 memorials for more than 3,100 people, not
including Adelphi University, which has several outdoor memorials as well.
This article is the last in a six-part
series on outdoor memorials in the Village of Garden City. If you know of any
additional memorials not mentioned in this series, please contact Carisa Giardino at firstname.lastname@example.org.RELATED STORIES