- Garden City Village Hall is closed on Monday.
- Garden City Schools are closed. Any events regularly scheduled on that day are canceled. However, Nassau Community College and Adelphi University is open and classes are being held.
- The Garden City Library is closed.
- Federal offices and agencies are also closed for the holiday, as are some banks and financial institutions. However, many banks, as well as the stock markets in New York remain open.
- Post offices are closed for Columbus Day and there will be no mail delivery.
About the Day
Columbus Day remembers Italian explorer Christopher Columbus’ long journey across the Atlantic Ocean to the “New World." The voyage was victorious when land was first spotted on Oct. 12, 1492.
The day is also considered a celebration of Italian heritage, as well as a huge shopping day in the U.S.
Know of any other closures in town? Let us know in the comments section!