We’re knee deep in swimsuit season and if your fitness goals are hanging on a string, here are five easy ways to get you in better shape for the beach:
- Hydrate Often - Drink more water. Whatever your water consumption is, which if you’re like most people it’s not enough, try to add two more 8 ounce glasses a day. This one change will make you feel full and you will end up eating less.
- Fresh Fare - Real food is not the enemy but processed food is. Move away from anything in your diet that comes out of a box or bag (sorry, Oreos) and substitute that with fresh fruit and vegetables. Center your meals on lean protein accompanied by fruits and veggies.
- Portion Control - None of us want to look super-sized, so let’s not eat that way. The American portion size at most restaurants and homes needs to be scaled down. Start today by minimizing your portions.
- Strength Training - If you’re one of those “cardio-only” exercisers we’ve got news for you. Cardio certainly has its benefits for your heart but you’re missing out on a crucial component of a strong (pun intended) fitness plan. Building muscle will help you lose fat for a more toned look and will increase your metabolism helping you burn extra calories throughout the day.
- Step Up - Change up your fitness routine. Work your core with planks, wood chops and hyperextensions; squats for your lower body and push-ups for upper body strength.
For more fitness tips that separate fact from fiction, visit us at www.studiostrength.com.