Here are the top headlines for June 14.
- Police Blotter: It was a busy week for the Garden City Police. They arrested one couple for allegedly engaging in a lewd act with a child present, and a drunk driver who fell asleep at the wheel. Read all about the crimes reported in the village here.
- Flag Day: Today is National Flag Day. The National Flag Day Foundation, Inc. is asking all citizens of the United States to display the flag during that week and that all Americans join in the annual “PAUSE FOR THE PLEDGE” ceremony on June 14 at 7 p.m. by reciting in unison the Pledge of Allegiance to our Flag and Nation. The Stratford School will also be holding its own Flag Day ceremony this morning.
- HAZMAT Incident: A suspicious white powder was delivered to an East Garden City bank Wednesday along with a threatening letter, warranting a response from Nassau County HAZMAT and the FBI. Click here for the story.
- Diabetes Seminar: The Garden City Chamber of Commerce has partnered with Winthrop University Hospital to present a series of health-related seminars open to members of the Chamber and to the general public. Learn about the program scheduled for June 19 later this morning.
- Senior Awards: Also coming up later today, see what Garden City High School seniors received accolades at the awards ceremony recently held for the Class of 2012.