Lifeguard Instruction Course No. 1:Registration starts: Feb. 11, 8 a.m. Pre-Test: Feb. 28, 5 p.m. (1st class takes place after pre-test) Class day and time: Thursdays from 5-8:30 p.m. Dates: Feb. 28-May 2 Cost: $250 (includes class/book/materials) plus a $5 class registration fee
Lifeguard Instruction Course No. 2:Registration starts: Feb 11, 8 a.m. Pre-Test: Feb 28, 5 p.m. Class day and time: Sundays from 12-4:30 p.m. Dates: March 3-April 28 Cost: $250 (includes class/book/materials) plus a $5 class registration fee
- Participants must be at least 16 years old before the last date of the class.
- Registrants must pass a pre-test in order to participate in the class. Pre-test requirements are listed below.
- Registration is first come, first serve. Class size is limited to 10 spots. A Nassau County Leisure Pass is required at the time of registration.
- After 10 spots are filled, a waitlist will be formed to fill in any pre-test failures. There is no fee to be placed on the waitlist.
- The $250 fee to be paid before the first class starts but only after passing the pre-test.
- No absences are permitted. Registration and program fees are non-refundable.
- Swim 300 yards continuously using only these strokes in the following order: 100 yards front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing propellant kick; 100 yards of breaststroke using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence; and 100 yards of either front crawl using rhythmic breathing or breaststroke. These 100 yards may be a mixture of front crawl and breaststroke. (Note: There is no time requirement for this skill. The participant must show only that he or she can swim 300 yards using the above strokes without stopping).
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke; surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet of water, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds. The time is complete once the participant has exited the water and is standing up on the pool deck.
Lifeguard Prep Class:Registration starts: Feb. 11, 8 a.m. Class day and time: Thursdays from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Dates: Feb. 28-May 2 Cost: $55 plus a $5 registration fee
- Participants must be between the ages of 13-15.
- Participants must be able to perform the same pre-test requirements listed for the lifeguard instruction course and/or must have completed Level 6 of the Learn to Swim program.
- Registration is first come, first serve. Class size is limited to 10 spots.
- A Nassau County Leisure Pass is required at the time of registration.