New Hyde Park
- A suspicious fire is being investigated at a liquor store on Hillside Avenue in North New Hyde Park on December 29. Members of the Garden City Park Fire Department responded to an original alert of smoke at 10:06 p.m. in the basement at 1621 Hillside Ave. however found nothing.
- Long Island Rail Road service was suspended on December 31 on three lines after a person was fatally struck on the tracks near the Covert Avenue at-grade crossing in New Hyde Park.
- A resident at 33 Lahey St. in North New Hyde Park was reportedly exposed to boric acid on January 1 at 2:48 p.m. Emergency medical services, Nassau County special operations and a hazmat crew responded to the scene.
- The Rockville Centre Roxen Road assault case took another turn in Nassau County First District Court this month. All five defendants were charged with assault with intent to cause physical injury, a misdemeanor, and assault with intent to cause physical injury with a weapon, a felony, in addition to the original charge of second-degree gang assault. Defendant William Moore was also charged with a second count of assault with intent to cause physical injury. Three of the defendants -- Moore, Matthew Diperna and Kevin Coyle -- also entered their plea of not guilty. William Nelson and Nolan Kelly, who both turned themselves in to Nassau County Police on Dec. 27, pleaded not guilty on the same date, according to court documents. All five defendants will now return to court on Jan. 18.
- An undercover investigation by Nassau County Police led to the arrests of two unlicensed massage therapists at a West Hempstead spa who allegedly offered to perform sexual acts for money. The Narcotics/Vice Bureau arrested Flushing residents Liru Xia, 43, and Qili Duan, 27, Jan. 2 in West Hempstead. According to detectives, an undercover operation determined that Xia and Duan, while working at the Royal Day Spa, located at 300 Hempstead Tpke., practiced massage therapy without a license. The women also allegedly offered to engage in a sexual act for an undisclosed amount of money. They were taken into custody without incident. Both women were charged with Unauthorized Practice and Prostitution.
- Nassau County Police are searching for the man who robbed a cab driver in Hempstead Jan. 3. According to detectives, a 32-year-old male taxi driver working for Checkers Cab Company picked up a male passenger at the Freeport train station around 3:20 a.m. and was instructed to drive to a location in Hempstead. The driver could not locate the street and eventually pulled onto Beverly Road, where the passenger then displayed a black handgun and demanded the driver’s property. The victim surrendered a cell phone, unknown amount of cash and keys to the cab. The suspect, described as male Hispanic, 5’06” tall, 175lbs., medium build, and wearing a black jacket and black knitted cap, then fled on foot southbound on Beverly Road. No injuries were reported. Detectives request anyone with information regarding this crime to contact Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.
- Nassau County Police are investigating a robbery that occurred on Jan. 2 at 4:19 a.m. in Hempstead. According to detectives, an unknown male white subject entered the Shamrock gas station located at 404 Clinton St. and demanded money from the 21-year-old male attendant. After obtaining an unknown amount of cash, he fled the scene on foot westbound on Lincoln Boulevard. The suspect is further described as 5’06” tall, wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt, black jeans, white sneakers and a black knit cap. No injuries were reported. Detectives request anyone with information regarding this crime to contact Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.
- A Bellmore man was arrested on Jan. 4 after he allegedly threatened to "shoot everyone at Mepham High School," Nassau County police said. For more on story, click here.