.

EMT on Coffee Run Helps Avert Potential Disaster at Dunkin' Donuts

Nassau County EMT evacuates Carle Place Dunkin' Donuts after his personal carbon monoxide detector goes off, police say.

The carbon monoxide scare occurred at this Dunkin' Donuts in Carle Place. (Google Maps photo)
The carbon monoxide scare occurred at this Dunkin' Donuts in Carle Place. (Google Maps photo)

A Nassau County EMT walked into a Carle Place Dunkin' Donuts early Friday and walked out a hero. 

Police say the EMT was at the store, located at 202 Glen Cove Road, to grab a cup of coffee shortly before 4 a.m. when the personal carbon monoxide detector he was carrying alerted him to a high level of the toxic gas in the building. 

The EMT, whose name was not disclosed by police, escorted the Dunkin' Donuts employees out of the building. 

The Carle Place Fire Department responded to the scene and confirmed a high level–35 parts per million–of carbon monoxide, which is odorless and colorless, inside the store. 

No injuries were reported and an investigation determined the carbon monoxide scare was caused by a vent failure in one of the store's ovens, police said. 

In February, a restaurant manager died and more than two dozen others were hospitalized following a carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Huntington Station.

Matt Markell May 31, 2014 at 04:58 PM
Call it 20/20 hindsight. A tendency to fix a problem only AFTER a catastrophe, rather than foreseeing the possibility and acting accordingly to prevent it. Unfortunately, too many of our municipalities are guilty of the same practice. Plan ahead is something completely foreign to them! I agree with Tideline, that EMT did a fine job, and should be commended.
eileen A. May 31, 2014 at 11:49 PM
thank God for an EMT that just wanted a cup of coffee. you saved many a life today and should be commended. i just can NOT understand why all business owners whether small or large would not just go out and get a simple $50.00 item (and i have even seen less than that), especially after the legal seafood incident. I would not wait for the lawmakers to "dilly dally" on this one. just go out and do it now. and to the DD i hope the coffee is on the house for this technician for a very long time.....
Meri June 01, 2014 at 10:52 AM
We carry those and they have proven useful more than once while responding to calls. Every business who really cares about their customers and every household should have CO detectors. They could just save your life!
Phil Konigsberg June 01, 2014 at 01:23 PM
There are two bills in the NY Assembly and one in the NY Senate that would require CO monitors to be installed in restaurants and other indoor locations. We should all encourage our legislators to move this bill on the fast track.
Valerie June 02, 2014 at 10:09 PM
This EMT is a hero and deserves a citation.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »