The Top Five Things You Should Know Sept. 12:
1. Restaurant: Franklin Avenue may soon boast another restaurant if things go well for an application the Albanese Organization submitted to the Planning Commission this month. Check back later this morning to find out more.
2. Be Prepared: September is National Preparedness Month. According to the inaugural Adelphi University Center for Health Innovation Poll, 44 percent of Americans don’t have first aid kits; 48 percent lack emergency supplies; and 52 percent do not have copies of health insurance documents. Find out how the university is trying to change these statistics here.
3. Tablet PCs: Should schools start switching over to Tablet PC devices like the Kindle or iPad or continue using print textbooks? Weigh in later this morning.
4. Gardening: Garden expert Oscar Milena, from Milena Garden Center, will be the featured speaker at the Estates POA's Wednesday meeting being held in Stratford School's cafeteria at 8 p.m. Read more here.
5. 9/11 Ceremony: The Garden City Fire Department held a somber 9/11 remembrance ceremony Tuesday. Click here for our coverage in photos.