.
<p>Built as a memorial to Garden City's founder Alexander T. Stewart by his wife, Cornelia, St. Paul's served the community as a boys school for more than 100 years. The Episcopal Diocese closed the school in 1991 and when voters overwhelmingly approved the purchase of the property, the Village of Garden City acquired the 48.6 acres in 1993 for $8.5 million.</p>
<p>The Main Building, a Victorian Gothic style building shaped like an "E," was completed in 1883. Cluett Gym (Hall) was completed in 1899 and contains a gym/auditorium and it once served as the school's theater. Many activities take place in Cluett Hall today. Ellis Hall was completed in 1969; providing additional classrooms, science labs and a library for the school. The Field House was completed in 1963 as one of the largest on Long Island. The Field House is often used by village residents.</p> <p>The building stands tall on Stewart Avenue; many in town believe its magnificent architecture is what helps define Garden City's character. Village residents and the board have yet to reach consensus on what to use the building for. It is currently designated parkland and therefore requires home rule legislation for any kind of public use.</p> <p>The village board of trustees is currently exploring demolition of the Main Building and Ellis Hall.</p>
Stewart Ave & Rockaway Ave, Garden City, NY 11530
() -
  • Fax: 914-771-3322
  • Accessibility Details: Ramp, elevator
  • Hours: Mon - Fri, 8:30 - 4:30
  • Accessible: yes
Share a review or post about this business.
Posts awaiting your approval 0
Who wants to be the first to post?
See more »