Each weekday morning, visit Patch to get the scoop on the top five things you need to know about Garden City for the day - or weekend. Whether it’s an important meeting, fun event or a can't miss story, we'll make sure you stay informed on the top things that are defining your community right now.
Five things you need to know Oct. 14:
1. Design Wars: Simon Fashion Now kicks off Friday at Roosevelt Field Mall and includes Design Wars, a runway reality competition with students from Nassau Community College. Simon Fashion Now continues on Saturday with runway shows at 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m. The events are free and open to everyone. Cick here for more details.
2. Homecoming: Homecoming 2011 is Saturday. The parade kicks off at noon on Seventh Street and ends at Garden City High School’s Warren King Field where the Trojans will take on Calhoun High School at 2 p.m. Don’t miss the great half-time show featuring Garden City High School’s Marching Band, kickline and cheerleaders.
3. Haunted Hikes: The Garden City Bird Sanctuary’s fifth annual Haunted Hikes are set for Friday and Saturday nights at 7:30 p.m. Entrance for a hike is $6 per person with all proceeds donated to the sanctuary. Rain Date: Saturday, Oct. 22. Click here for more information.
4. Halloween Fest and Costume Parade: Halloween Fest is back. Saturday between 2 and 5 p.m., come to the Garden City Bird Sanctuary for an afternoon of games, arts, crafts, prizes, a Halloween parade, face painting, mummy wrapping, potato sack races and recycling relays! The cost per participant is $10.
5. Fire Prevention Day and Open House: The Garden City Fire Department will hold its annual fire prevention day and open house Sunday at Fire Headquarters on Stewart Avenue. The event begins at 12:30 p.m. The event will include full dress inspection of the department by village officials, followed by an afternoon of firefighting and fire safety demonstrations.