Here are the Five Things You Need to Know for Aug. 6:
1. NYS Test Scores: Find out how Garden City students fared with regard to meeting or exceeding proficiency standards in English and math exams later today on Patch.
2. Commuter Tax Break: The Senate Finance Committee passed a bill Thursday that would bring back a federal tax break for commuters. Find out what this means for you here.
3. Fire Services: The ICMA report analyzing the Garden City Fire Department's services gets mixed reviews. Let us know what you think here.
4. Airplane Noise: Rep. Carolyn McCarthy says she wants a “memorandum of understanding” between the FAA and the Port Authority so each agency’s respective roles and responsibilities in noise management and mitigation are "made more clear and accountable.” Read more here.
5. Readers Choice: Help Patch determine the best of the best in Garden City, Mineola and New Hyde Park by voting in each of our 25 Readers' Choice categories.