The American Heart Association has posted on their website some ways to prevent heart disease:
- Don’t smoke
- Manage your blood sugar
- Get your blood sugar under control
- Lower your cholesterol
- Know your family history
- Stay active
- Lose weight
- Eat healthy
Yield for Pedestrians in the Crosswalk: Residents are again reminded of the "Yield for Pedestrian in Crosswalk" signs at the three mid-block crosswalks on Seventh Street between Franklin and Hilton Avenues.
State vehicle and traffic law states that motorists must yield to pedestrians who are crossing a roadway within the striped crosswalks. A motorist seeing a pedestrian entering the crosswalk must stop and permit the pedestrian to cross the street. Cars approaching the stopped vehicle from the rear are not permitted to pass.
The Garden City Police Department has been instructed to vigorously enforce these regulations and your cooperation when driving on Seventh Street and Rockaway Avenue near the east entrance to the Middle School will help to make these crosswalks safer for pedestrians.
A word of caution, however, to the pedestrian - do not place undue reliance on the signs or the crosswalks, even though the law requires vehicles to yield the right-of-way - they may not do so.
Budget Work Sessions: I would like to advise you that the board of trustees will be conducting work sessions to review the proposed 2013/14 Operating/Capital Budgets on:
- Saturday, Jan. 26: 8:30 a.m. Tour of Facilities and Capital Plan Presentation
- Wednesday, Feb. 6: 7:30-10 p.m. Budget Study- Work Session 1
- Thursday, Feb. 14: 7:30-10 p.m. Budget Study - Work Session 2
- Thursday, Feb. 28: 7:30-10 p.m. Budget Study - Work Session 3
- Thursday, March 14: 7:30-10 p.m. Budget Study - Work Session - Final