We have already experienced a number of accidents that perhaps would not have occurred had some type of reflective protective gear been worn.
Your Village E-Cycles: The Department of Environmental Conservation has placed restrictions on the collection and disposal of e-waste (televisions, computers, computer peripherals such as printers, scanners, etc.). Collectors such as the village are required to separately collect these items and designate them for recycling or reuse. The village has contacted a vendor which has been designated by the Town of Hempstead for e-waste recycling and they have agreed to provide a POD which will be located at the Village Yard for the collection of e-waste which will be recycled by them.
Last year, the village began collecting e-waste on the first and third Tuesdays of each month. If you would to schedule a “pick up” of your e-waste, please call the Village Yard at 465-4031 and someone will assist you in the scheduling of a pick up at your home. You may also bring your “e-waste” to the Village Yard for disposal.
Safe Disposal of Refuse: A reminder to residents that the following guidelines are to be used in the disposition of refuse in order to protect our employees:
1. Sharp objects, such as broken glass, sharp pieces of metal and knives should not be placed loosely in plastic or paper bags. Proper precaution should be taken, such as placing them in cardboard boxes tied with string or tape.
2. All hypodermic needles should be bent and the point blunted.
3. Dust from vacuum cleaners, barbecue pits and sandings from wooden floors should not be placed loosely in a trash barrel. They should be placed in a paper bag or plastic container for disposal.
4. Dangerous objects, such as acid, gasoline and explosives, should not be placed in garbage or rubbish. If you have any questions concerning the disposal of dangerous items, please call the Sanitation Department.
5. Do not overload containers. The maximum weight per container is 40 lbs. Overloading containers with heavy objects, such as broken concrete, has resulted in back injuries to our personnel.
Budget Work Sessions: I would like to advise you that the board of trustees will be conducting work sessions to review the proposed 2013/14 Operating/Capital Budgets on:
- Wednesday, Feb. 6: 7:30-10 p.m. Budget Study - Work Session 1
- Thursday, Feb. 14: 7:30-10 p.m. Budget Study - Work Session 2
- Thursday, Feb. 28: 7:30-10 p.m. Budget Study - Work Session 3
- Thursday, March 14: 7:30-10 p.m. Budget Study - Work Session - Final