Whether it's heroic performances or unlikely championships, the sports scenes were booming in Nassau and Suffolk County.
Here's a look at the top posts from 2013:
- Port Rowing Strikes Gold This Summer: Ashley and Melissa Iannucci won the first ever national championship for Port Rowing, taking first in the women's lightweight pair at the U.S. Club National Championships in Camden, N.J., in July.
- Watch: Curtain Ripped off the Sachem North LIC Banner: The Sachem North Varsity football team unfurled its 2013 Long Island Championship banner in front of an all-Sachem crowd on Dec. 9 in the high school gymnasium at North.
- Levittown Native Wins NCAA Women's Golf Championship: She's only a freshman in college, but Levittown native Annie Park can play with the best of them. Park won the NCAA Women's Individual Title in convincing fashion, finishing 10 strokes under par and helping the No. 1 ranked USC Trojans women's golf team win the NCAA National Championship.
- Upset Over Floyd Earns Pat-Med Coach NY Jets Honor: Patchogue-Medford Varsity Football Coach Gary Marangi has been award the New York Jets High School Football Coach of the Week for the tri-state area after his team put together a dominating 31-7 performance over reigning LI Champion Floyd on Friday night.
- Lawrence Tops Huntington to Capture LI Championship: The football team, led by Jordan Fredericks, Joe Capobianco and Elijah Jones, topped Huntington to capture the Long Island Championship, 41-32 at Stony Brook University's LaValle Stadium.
- Babylon Football Takes Second Straight Rutgers Trophy: With two Long Island Championships under their belts and 24 straight wins, the Babylon Panthers varsity football team added another piece of hardware to their growing collection: a second straight Rutgers Trophy.
- Garden City Boys LAX Wins Second Straight State Title: It's not always easy to live up to expectations when the expectation is to win a state championship. But the Garden City Trojans boys lacrosse team is not one to disappoint.
- Lady Whalers Bring Home State Championship: The Pierson-Bridgehampton field hockey are New York State Champions. The Lady Whalers won the Class C title 1-0 over Cazenovia Lady Lakers in a double overtime on Sunday at Cicero-North Syracuse High School.
- Massapequa Boys, Girls Soccer Claim State Championships: The Massapequa Boys and Girls Soccer teams won their respective New York State Championships.
- Sachem East Girls Win Suffolk Hoops Championship: "This definitely feels much better than last year," said Sachem East Basketball star Katie Doherty just moments after she and her teammates hoisted their Class AA Suffolk County Championship plaque.
- Video: The Kick Sends Dalers to County Title Win: Late in the fourth quarter, the Massapequa Chiefs scored a touchdown to tie the game at 26-26, but the Dalers drove down the field and Zach Kolodny's 32-yard field goal clinched the Nassau County Championship, 29-26.